Are you sitting down? No? Ok, we’ll give you a minute to find a suitable place to park yourself because Episode 14 is a powder keg. We’ve been wanting to cover the topic of women in photography since the first episode but we knew we wanted to have a particular person as a guest host. That person is none other than the incomparable Tamara Lackey and we are positively thrilled to have her join us! Tamara, Sharky, and Brian tackle the issues and disparities surrounding female photographers who work just as hard as men but often have to deal with the crap that sadly comes with a predominantly male industry. It’s a really strong segment and we’re sure you’re going to enjoy it a lot. Because we spent so much time on that topic, our second topic is much shorter but it has to do with managing photo shoot requests from family and friends. Finally, we’d never let you go without a solid edition of “What’s On Your Gear Shelf?”
- Tamara, Sharky, and Brian kick things off by referencing a variety of stories and posts that highlight the disparity between male and female photographers in the professional industry.
- The hosts bring up the debacle with the Nikon Asia D850 launch [via PetaPixel]
- In response to that, Tamara shared a wonderful and thoughtful post shortly after this story broke [via Facebook]
- She also shared a blog post with more insights into what female photographers deal with on a consistent basis [via tamaralackey.com]
- Brian brings up a post by former co-host, Nicole S. Young, where she catalogs the male/female makeup of each major ambassador program, showing the wild disparity [via nicolesy.com]
- We also want to make sure all of you know that Tamara has a new book, The Portrait Shoot Playbook, coming out very soon, so be sure to check it out! [via tamaralackey.com]
- Post cover photo [Brooke Lark via Unsplash]
What’s On Your Gear Shelf?
Sharky: Nikon D500 [via B&H Photo]
Brian: MindShift Gear Filter Hive [via B&H Photo]